70s Inspired Retro Recipes: Cheese Fondue
Imagine you are in the 1970’s, in the Swiss Alps, you have just come back from skiing and you are all warm and cosy in your ski lodge… what 70s inspired recipe comes straight to mind? Cheese fondue of course! A retro party classic but still a great crowd pleaser today.
- 300g chopped or grated gruyere cheese
- 300g chopped camembert (without rind)
- 300ml white wine
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- pinch of ground black pepper
- small pinch of nutmeg
- Crusty bread chopped into chunks
- Fresh raw vegetables (optional)
- Add the cheese, lemon juice and wine into a saucepan and gently heat until cheese as melted and mixed with the wine. Turn the heat down and then mix the cornflour and water together in a cup or mug thoroughly and then add to simmering pan to thicken the sauce mix, gently heat and stir.
- Carefully pour into a fondue pan which has a tealight or flame underneath to keep it simmering and warm.
- Add the peeled garlic (whole) into the cheesy mix and allow the heat to gently and permeate the garlic through the cheese sauce. Add the nutmeg and pepper and stir.
- Serve with crusty bread chunks or fresh raw veggies. Dip your chosen bread or veggies into the cheese fondue and enjoy!