Welcome to our new blog series of ‘retro recipes’ designed with pure 70’s mania in mind. We could not start this series with anything more 70s than of course, the prawn cocktail. Here is our very own recipe for the perfect way to start a classic meal.
- 400g cooked peeled prawns
- 250g cooked tiger prawns
- 8 shell on prawns
- 4 little gem lettuces, washed and trimmed
- 6 heaped tablespoons mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 whole lemon, quartered in wedges
- Smoked paprika for dusting
- Fresh chives for garnish
- To a large bowl add the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and black pepper and then mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust mayo, ketchup and pepper to your own taste.
- Add the cooked peeled prawns and the cooked tiger prawns to the sauce bowl and mix well once again and then chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Add the lettuce to each bowl and then heap portions of the prawn and sauce mix creatively over the top. Add a wedge of lemon, 2 shell on prawns, a dusting of smoked paprika and a couple of chives to garnish. Back to the 70s here we go!